This interesting picture (courtesy of eCollegeFinder.org) shows the chances of U.S. athletes making it to the Olympics, looking at the 2008 (Beijing) and 2012 (London) Olympic Games participation data.
High school aged boys have a 1 in 8778 chance of making the U.S. Track & Field Olympic Team. For girls, it’s a bit tougher (1 in 9079), even if the lower possibilities are for basketball players (this is not a surprise for U.S., is it?).
Click on the picture to see a larger version and to look at the odds for all Olympic sports.
|What are your chances of becoming a summer Olympic athlete?|
Here you can find a list of my running-related posts. Now shut down the notebook and have a run!
Science and Training:
- How to publish your Garmin training data to other services with “tapiriik”
- Heel-to-toe drop: meaning and measurement
- Garmin, Polar and WTEK: heart rate sensors comparison
- What is training load?
- Runner’s performance evaluation – Part 1: the VO2max.
- Runner’s performance evaluation – Part 2: Carbs, Fats and Proteins as Energy for living.
- Runner’s performance evaluation – Part 3: Energy expenditure during running.
- Motivation for training: two inspirational speeches by John Doman.
- A pseudo-“Conconi test” to predict the anaerobic threshold
- Running at 4000 m: the hypoxic chamber
- Can the Kinematics of arm movements be trained to improve Running Economy?
- Forest steeplechase training
- Snowy workout in the forest
- 2013 Track & Field season – Chronicle of a Steeplechase year
- 2012 Track & Field season – Chronicle of a Steeplechase year
- My 2011 in numbers – Happy new year!
- Omni-Lite ceramic track spikes
- 7th Airport Run Berlin: second place and PB
- A good way to end the year
- Cone-Project presents: “Emozioniadi” 2012
- Tough Guy: the safest most dangerous event in the world
- 24th Lauf im Britzer Garten: a good pre-season test.
- 32nd Pankower Frühlingslauf
- BIG 25 Berlin 2012: a new World Record!
- The hardest 400 m of the World: the “Red Bull 400”
- Trail running in the dark: 4^ Notturna di Sant’Antonio – Miane (TV), Italy
- Talkin’ blues: when XC meets life. Offene Berlin-Brandenburgische Crossmeisterschaften
- “Non Solo Sport Race” – Padova, 28th August 2011